I’ve had a few questions about my cathedral windows quilt….
There are lots of tutorials online. I hunted for the one I used, and learned I have way too many bookmarks in my “quilting” folder.
Here are two:
Hyena in Petticoats has a nicely written tutorial for a technique I ended up not using, where you just fold the edges in, instead of stitching.
This is the one I did use – more or less. I used the “modern approach” where you machine stitch the backing blocks together (there’s already alot of handstitching in this quilt, without handstitching the backing blocks too)
I didn’t tack the corners down, I found it easier to do it by hand after I sewed the inserts, since I only joined a few blocks together at a time.
Size: I wanted jumbo blocks so I could actually get the quilt done. I used 6.5 inch squares for my inserts and started with 20.25 inch squares to start for the backgrounds. I used the Kona muslin, though if I were doing it again, I’d just use a solid that was slightly less tightly woven for 20 background blocks. I think I bought about 15 yards of fabric (yep, it takes alot of fabric – but remember, there’s no backing or batting to buy)
You can use the size chart in the tutorial for smaller blocks. For larger ones you have to do some math. The backing fabric is roughly 3 times the size of the inset square. I set up a proportion (4/12.5 :: 6.5 / x ) using the dimensions from the chart and the size of my inset square to calculate mine.